The Charity and its Purpose
Leith Community Crops in Pots (LCCiP) is a Scottish Charitable Incorporated Organisation, set up to promote healthy, inclusive and environmentally sustainable food production and consumption in Leith. The organisation’s mission is:
“To encourage and support the people and organisations of Leith to grow food vegetables, and flowers for bees, in urban spaces, in order to improve health and well-being, community cohesion and environment.”
The charity is run by a small board membership and CEO drawn from a variety of backgrounds including environmental sustainability, community development, public sector, education, local government and of course food growing.
The organisation’s purposes are:
- To advance environmental protection and/or improvement by encouraging and supporting the people of Leith:
- (i) to grow vegetables and fruit for food in urban spaces, so reducing their food miles and carbon footprint;
- (ii) to grow flowers for bees and other pollinating insects, thus improving both local aesthetics and biodiversity.
- To provide and organise recreational activities with the object of improving the wellbeing of the people of Leith through:
- (i) encouraging, educating and supporting them to eat their own locally grown fruit and vegetables, improving diet and dietary awareness;
- (ii) providing opportunities for recreational activities, such as connecting with nature/nature play for children;
- (iii) providing opportunities for people to meet each other and exchange knowledge and goods (plants, food, recipes and plant-growing know-how), using Non-Violent Communication (NVC) skills where appropriate, so improving community cohesion, and mental/emotional wellbeing.
- To advance the education of both children and adults living in Leith with regard to the value of natural systems and on sustainable lifestyles, so that present generations do not threaten the quality of life for future generations.
- To advance education and environmental protection by supporting schools and nurseries in achieving their environmental goals.